Cobham Rugby

1st XV Match Report from Sidcup

A really committed team performance by a young Cobham side nearly inflicted the first defeat of the season at table topping Sidcup.

From the kick off Sidcup pushed forward and it was only committed defence
that kept the home side at bay. Gradually Cobham worked their way into the
game and gained territory into the Sidcup half and secured two penalties
which were stroked over by Ross Jones Davis. Sidcup hit back strongly and
following good interplay were able to score a try under the posts which was
duly converted .7-6 .
Following great interplay and impressive 50 metre break by Ross Jones
Davis into the Sidcup half the home team again infringed and RJD to full
advantage by slotting the penalty 7-9 .The home team again forced the pace
and following several strong forward bursts and some good interplay O'Leary
scored for the home side and it was again converted 14-9 .It is worth
highlighting that throughout the game the Cobham forwards had competed
fantastically well in the lose and had made dramatic drives and had managed
to steal ball from the athletic Sidcup pack .It was from a period of Cobham
committed defence and with great handling that the team forced themselves
back into the Sidcup half and as Sidcup scrambled they committed a further
infringement and Ross Jones Davis duly took the points 14-12 . Just before
half time Sidcup were awarded a penalty which they kicked to lead 17-12 at
half time .
The small travelling Cobham contingent were delighted with the team's first
half performance of true grit, determination and undoubted skill levels .We
clearly felt we had the edge in the backs and believed if we could win
enough ball we could still cause an upset and so it proved with James
Clemence making an outstanding break of some 50 metres with the backs
keeping the ball alive speed man Alex Aves was able to scamper over and with
RJD converting Cobham led 19-17 .This lead was increased with a further RJD
and Cobham led 22-17 .
Sidcup are not top of the League for nothing and with their support both
nervous and vocal they came back strongly at Cobham targeting the scrum
which to be fair had been in the ascendancy all afternoon. Despite valiant
Cobham defence throughout the last 15 minutes Sidcup scored two more tries
and eventually ran out winners 31-22 .

This was a pulsating game and a huge amount of credit must go to the young
Cobham side who so nearly created an upset and who were tenacious throughout
the game and were unlucky not to get a bonus point. This truly was a team
effort where everyone contributed and made both the travelling President, Chairman and travelling supporters proud.

Steve Heard