Cobham Rugby

Cobham U21s Cup Semi-Final Match Report - Thursday 29th March

Cobham U21s: 38 v Old Reigatians U21s: 12

On the evening of Thursday 29th March in front of a good crowd, Cobham U21's qualified for their fifth Surrey Cup Final in six seasons. Following 48hrs of torrential rain, huge credit has to go to the grounds team for making the pitch perfectly playable and just before the match started the rain ceased and a thoroughly enjoyable encounter ensued between two teams of talented and enthusiastic players. 


Cobham started the first half strong, a theme which continues for the first 40 minutes. An early try by hooker Theo Buffini was converted by Will Sharp. This was soon followed by a second try scored by second row and captain Tom Birch, again converted by Sharp. At 14 points up, Cobham were dominating the line-out and scrum, the latter which lead to a penalty try with the Reigatians scrum crumbling on their own line before an inevitable push-over try was awarded. In conjuction with dominant forward play, the back-line was also function well with some good handling and counter-attacking play. Slick hands through the three-quarter led to a chip through and a foot race won by full back Jordan Bond whose managed to touch down in the corner with a show of excellent footwork to avoid goin in touch. The final try of the half was again scored by Jordan Bond and strangely converted by no.8 Jake McQuade. Cobham went in at half-time 33-0 up. 


Reigate came out into the second half with renewed vigour. Having rarely entered the Cobham half in the first 40 minutes, they started strong and they continued to attack the home side, particularly showing some excellent play through their own back-line. To counter this, the Cobham defence was resolute but within a ten minute period Reigations scored 12 unanswered points leaving the spectators to think that an incredible come-back could be on the cards. For the final quarter, Cobham stepped things up and found themselves playing in the Reigate half. Cobham's sixth and final try of the game originated from a slick counter attack move and following quick hands and pace Gresham Lynn scored, taking the score to 38-12. This is how the match ended, despite Cobham's attempt to score from some outstanding skill within their own 22 but denied by an excellent tackle from a Reigatians player refusing to give up.


The Cobham Coaches and Management were extremely pleased with the performance of the squad, which in essence only got together less than two hours before kick-off. The squad encompassed players from four age groups, including three U18's, all of which made huge contributions to the performance. From the squad of 22, nine of the players have represented Cobham first team at some point this season and 17 have played Senior rugby for the club.  This reinforces the importance of "home-grown" players to the senior Section and is testament to the skill-set and attitude that these players develop whilst being part of the youth and mini sections.  


Cobham discovered that their Cup Final opponents would once again be Richmond, however the date of this final is now to be confirmed having had to re-schedule the finals day due to the continued rain fall over the weekend.



Cobham Squad:

Jordan Bond, Tom Yorke, Ed Ashwell, Will Sanders, Joe Rotherham, Will Sharp, Christian Disley-May, Augy Clark, Theo Buffini, Luke Bliss, Tom Birch, Jamie Yates, Michael Vasili, Nathan Spratt, Jake McQuade, Ryan Ajula, Dan Murphy, Michael Wasko, Guy Broad, Will Mead, Olly Darwell-Taylor, Gresham Lynn.