Cobham Rugby

Match Report: Cobham 24-36 Camberley

Cobham battle bravely to secure a hard-fought bonus point

A thunderous contest between two fully committed teams saw Cobham finish on the wrong end of a 26-34 scoreline against Camberley at Fairmile Lane (2 March 2019). The visitors had the physical edge in the opening quarter and allowed them to race into a 17-point advantage – a deficit that would prove decisive in deciding the final outcome. Thereafter, Steve Pope’s team showed great resolve and equal the opposition in all aspects of the contest, resulting a deserved bonus point try being scored in the closing minutes of the match.

The opening exchanges indicated that this would be a ferocious battle, as both defences held firm and forced numerous unforced errors. However, three tries in quick succession from Camberley soon changed the mood amongst the home faithful. The scoring began from a lineout close to the Cobham line, resulting in centre Joe Wood powering over from close range.

Ollie Kitto had a half chance to respond almost immediately, but his kick through beat everyone to the dead ball line. Camberley were on the front foot soon after and causing panic in the Cobham defensive line, with Ben Harrison touching down for a converted try. Camberley were back on the offensive straight from the restart and a sweeping move ended with hooker Dylan Emerton going over in the right hand corner to give Camberley a commanding lead (0-17).

Cobham’s response was immediate and they would battle courageously throughout the rest of the match. From a scrum close to the Camberley twenty-two, the ball was moved through the backs to Will Sanders, coming off the right wing, who showed great strength and speed to race over for a fine solo score.

The home side were now in the ascendancy and enjoyed a 10-minute numerical advantage following the sin-binning of the Camberley winger for obstructing his opposite number Ollie Kitto. But Cobham failed to capitalise on this opportunity and a bonus point try on the stroke of half-time from flanker Alex Hughes – in the face of some obfuscate defending - arguably decided the outcome in Camberley’s favour. At the break, the scoreboard read 5-24.

The home side came out strongly after the restart and after a decent break from man-of-the-match Sanders, hooker Mario Zakakiotis finished off a rolling maul from close range for a try that Tom Farrelly converted that cut the deficit to 12-points (12-24). A second yellow card for the visitors once again gave Cobham a man advantage, but it was the visitors who were next on the scoreboard. Their fifth try towards the end of the third quarter put the result beyond doubt and a further score 10 minutes from the end put Camberley further in front (12-34).

To their credit, Cobham refused to throw in the towel and finished strongly. Farrelly intercepted on halfway and ran in unopposed for a try under the posts, which he converted. Cobham went on the attack from the restart and after a decent period of pressure in the visitor’s half, lock forward Doug Rodman drove over from another set-piece close to the Camberley line; a score that would give Cobham at least one bonus point. In the time that remained, the hosts searched for a final score and a second bonus point from their afternoon’s work – but the Camberley defence held firm.

Final score, 26-34.

Cobham 1st XV:

1 Ryan Aujla

2 Mario Zakakiotis

3 Ben Joyce

4 Harry Green 

5 Doug Rodman 

6 Freddie Joyce 

7 Olly Fox

8 Jake McQuad

9 Ryan Saunders 

10 Luke Flower 

11 Will Sanders 

12 Tom Farrelly 

13 James Mitchell 

14 Ollie Kitto 

15 George Tunnacliffe 



16 Andrew Murphy 

17 Ben Latimer 

18 Ollie Fielding 


No. 14 Will Sanders x 1 Try
No. 2 Mario Zakakiotis x 1 Try
No. 4 Doug Rodman x 1 Try
No. 12 Tom Farrelly x 1 Try | x 3 Conversions