Cobham Rugby

Match Report: Cobham 29-Hove 12

Cobham work hard to win against Hove

Newly promoted Hove came to the Memorial Fields looking for their first win of the season and they looked like achieving that during a very tight first half which saw honours even. In a second half  Cobham showed more purpose scoring three further tries and achieved a solid win which takes them to third in the league table. 

Director of rugby Steve Pope had to make a last minute change to his team when hooker Mario Zakakiotis was injured in training. Jake McQuade stepping forward literally from the back row and giving John Radford his first start of the season and Ryan Aujla coming onto the bench 

Cobham has always had a family club feel and there were several examples on display for first and second XV :-

Brothers Louis & Ali Porter both 1stxv cousins James & Max MacDonald both 1stxv brothers Jake & Ryan McQuade 1st & 2ndxv
and brothers Luke & Jordan Oldershaw in the 2ndxv

Add to that Nathan Spratt whose father Richard played for the First XV and Tom Davison making his first team debut following on from past Director of rugby and Captain Billy Davison and Uncle Jack Davison First XV captain

Cobham opened brightly and were unlucky not to take the lead in the first few minutes when a penalty attempt by Tom Farrelly hit the posts but a score was quickly secured with a back line move that saw hooker McQuade linking and feeding George Tunnacliffe 5-0 Farrelly adding the extras 7-0

Hove responded immediately and strong upfront they secured possession and territory for the next twenty minutes and finally with a great break by their number 10 George Davis feeding number 12,their very own MacDonald to score 7-5.  Rob Biggs converting the scores were level 7-7.

Cobham came back but Hove took the lead shortly from Pavildes 7-12 and  Cobham knew they were in a match. It was perhaps only a yellow card for an infringement that gave the home side the opportunity to draw level when Ryan Saunders took his opportunity to scramble over the line 12-12. Half Time

DOR Steve Pope may have had some words at half time because Cobham were more attacking as they came out. Rory Penfold came on at full back and a run from him provided Number 8 John Radford with his chance to shine 17-12.

There were changes in the scrum as well as Ryan Aujla and Nathan Spratt both came off the bench and the versatility of the pack saw Matcham move to the second row.

Hove moved the ball around but it was from a loose pass in their own twenty two which Farrelly intercepted saw McQuade find metres and Radford was in space for his second try 22-12 Farrelly adding the extras 24-12.

The final score came from a great break from the scrum by Saunders setting centre James Mitchell away to provide James MacDonald with an opportunity to put his name on the scoreboard 29-12.

Hove never gave up in this match and even three scores down they came back at Cobham in the last five minutes and as the final whistle blew you felt you have seen a far closer game than the final score suggested. 

In a home double triumph the 2nd XV ran in winners 45- 10

1 Ben Joyce
2 Jake McQuade
3 Sam Matcham 
4 Tom Davison 
5 Louis Porter
6 Ali Porter 
7 Olly Fox (C)
8 John Radford 
9 Ryan Saunders 
10 Tom Farrelly 
11 James MacDonald 
12 George Tunnacliffe 
13 James Mitchell 
14 Max MacDonald 
15 Jonny Holmes 

16 Ryan Aujla 
17 Nathan Spratt 
18 Rory Penfold

No 9 Ryan Saunders x 1 Try 
No 12 George Tunnacliffe x 1 Try
No 11 James MacDonald x 1 Try 
No 8 John Radford x 2 Tries 

No 10 Tom Farrelly x 2 Conversions