Cobham Rugby

Match Report: Cobham 33 Chobham 17

Cobham return to form in derby clash

A waterproof writing pad was needed to record this game as the Memorial grounds were hit by atrocious weather for the return fixture against Chobham in the ongoing ' battle of the H' 

The last three matches have all been tight knit affairs with only two points separating the teams but Cobham were still smarting from losing 29-27 to the final kick of the match at Fowlers Wells in September. 

At the Cobham Xmas lunch Captain Olly Fox had introduced wing James MacDonald who was celebrating his 100th appearance ( -thanks as always to Thomas 'Stato' Schofield but for many players this was their first derby encounter

It was apparent from the whistle that Cobham wanted this win to finish the first half of a mixed season as they took the game to Chobham. Initially it was to no effect as the visitors, who obviously value the rivalry as well, took their opportunities to counter attack 

The wet conditions resulted in dropped balls from both sides but after five minutes play stand off Luke Flower kicked ahead  winger Will Sanders picked up darted cross field to feed centre Tom Farrelly who in turn kicked to the Chobham try line for Max MacDonald to collect and score 5-0

Chobham responded strongly but could not turn possession or territory into points and the next score came when Cobham secured a penalty and Tom Farrelly converted 8-0 

It should have been expected that Chobham would not want that scoreline extended and when Cobham conceded a five metre scrum they converted the possession into points when hooker Robbie Brown powered over with the conversion bringing the score back to 8-7.

Having let Chobham back into the game Cobham responded when Farrelly intercepted and released Sanders to take the home side  up to the line. Chobham prevented the score but from a resulting maul Tom Davison executed what is fast becoming a trade mark pick and go from a maul and broke the line 13-7 Farrelly converting 15-7.

Penalties were exchanged so at half time the score was 18-10.

With the weather deteriorating it might have been expected for the play to become literally bogged down but both sides moved the ball wide and it stayed in hand.  Chobham infringed and Farrelly extended the lead with a well struck penalty 21-10 but a yellow card for Max MacDonald for an adjudged high tackle took Cobham down to 14. Chobham took advantage when they converted line out ball into a rolling maul and crossed the line and kicked the extras 21-17 and it appeared as if we were on track for a trademark close finish. However there was nothing nebulous about Cobham's response,relentless driving, mauling and rucking saw scrum Tiernan White pick up and dive over the line under the posts 28-17 and we were into the final ten minutes. 

As if to emphasise the dominance of the second half Cobham wanted the bonus point try and Sam Matcham scored it just before the whistle. Final score 33-17

Director of rugby Steve Pope said '"Well that's set us all up for a nice Christmas break, the battle of the H is as any derby should be, always a well contested affair. 

I thought our boys battled really hard today and in large parts controlled the game, well scoring some lovely tries in the terrible conditions. 
The discipline of our boys was first class and we knew if we stayed patient we would soon get them rattled. We are slowly starting to manage the game better ...when we get this right for a full 80 minutes someone is in for a real hiding. 
Lots to work on over coming weeks thought the cold and wet weeks ahead. 
Fantastic to see James reach his 100th appearance for the 1st a real positive. delighted for James he's become a real consistent figure in the squad and bring a huge amount to the team. Jake (Cake ) MacQuade also making his 50th appearance last week away at Thurrock, also a quality achievement. Jake has been one of a number regularly traveling back to play from university and his also been a big player for us. 
From 1 -18 I thought everyone played there part in a big performance, very gratifying to see the old foe put away after the very close lost earlier in the season away at Chobham. 

The 2s narrowly lost 8 -5 again taking into consideration the conditions really played a part in how teams were able to play. 
I'd have liked to have played today's fixtures on a dry track... I'm sure we would have taken far more from the games in that case. 
Still a really nice afternoon for the club in everything except weather!.. full club house ..  3 teams at home .. and lots of people enjoying the last league fixture before the festive cheer.

Obviously we have the Under 21s and the memorial game on boxing day so please get down ...everyone welcome! 

Thank you to all the players, coaching and management team, supporters, helpers, volunteers that have made things happen in the first half of the season. Wishing you all a very happy Christmas and New year and looking forward to working hard on our standings in the second part of this very competitive league''.

1.Ben Joyce

2.Jake MacQuade

3.Sam Matcham

4.Doug Rodman

5.Louis Porter

6.Ali Porter

7.Olly Fox ( Captain)

8.Tom Davison

9.Tiernan White

10.Luke Flower

11.Max MacDonald

12.Tom Farrelly

13.James MacDonald

14.Will Sanders

15.George Tunnacliffe


16 Ryan Aujila

17 Theo Buffini

18.Oli Kitto 


Tries  Max MacDonald, Tiernan White,Sam Matcham,T Davison

Penalties  Tom Farrelly ( 3 )

Conversions Tom Farrelly (2)