Cobham Rugby

Match Report - Weybridge Vandals 13-Cobham 58

London 2 South West November 21st 2015

Cobham travelled to neighbours Weybridge Vandals to contest this London 2 South West League match coming into the game having only lost one of their first seven matches. 

Historically this fixture is one of the oldest in the Cobham calendar with records detailing that on the 12th October 1957 Cobham ( then Old Surbitonians) played Weybridge Vandals,( then University Vandals) and lost 8 points to 6 at Fairmile Lane. 

The match commenced on a cold November afternoon with Cobham facing a strong gusty wind. The pitch was firm despite overnight rain and early morning snow showers. Weybridge began with a competitive style of rugby determined to keep Cobham in their own half thus giving them the opportunity to build a points advantage by half time which would be needed to give them any chance of success. These tactics aided by the strong wind rewarded the energetic Weybridge side with periods of possession and position in the Cobham half.  

The use of the strong wind in their kicking game gave Weybridge the opportunity to open the scoring with a series of driving plays. Cobham stoutly defended a series of mauls but eventually after 10 minutes of play succumbed to allow a Weybridge forward to be driven over the try line for a converted try. 7 - 0

Cobham’s response from the kick off was determined and skilful and after 15 minutes of play a  drive spearheaded by the ever present Cobham back row caused Weybridge to concede a penalty. From the resultant lineout and drive an unconverted try was scored by Rob Fleming. 7-5

Within five minutes a determined run from Josh Brown resulted in a penalty and a kick to the corner and from the resultant lineout and maul an unconverted try was scored by Josh Brown. 7-10

Weybridge again returned to the attack forcing Cobham to defend for long periods with only brief respite against a strong biting wind finally resulting in a penalty to bring the scores level. 10-10.                                                                                 

With the end of the  first half approaching Cobham attacked the Weybridge try line with determination and Charlie Rooke, returning after an enforced absence for concussion, delivered an exquisite inside pass for Theo Buffini to power over for a try, converted by Ollie Weir. 10—17

It was however Weybridge who were to have the last score of this absorbing first half  converting another penalty. 13-17.

Cobham’s recent performances in the second half have been wholly consistent in providing them with bonus point wins and this match was to follow a similar course despite Vandals defensive efforts.

After only 5 minutes a strong set piece effort and disrupted Weybridge scrum saw James McDonald cross the line for an unconverted try.  13-22 and although Vandals replied strongly Cobham’s superior fitness and skills were prevailing.  The pressure eventually told with a yellow card awarded against a Vandals  forward and the resultant penalty being converted by Ollie Weir. 13-25

Cobham were now pressing from all parts of the field and after 25 minutes of play Theo Buffini scored his second try, converted by Ollie Weir.13-32

The next score quickly followed with clean possession by the forwards ensuring winger James Clements could score an unconverted try in the corner 13-37 and in the final 15 minutes  there were three more  tries from the Cobham number eight,  Matt Koep all converted by Ollie Weir for Cobham to finish strongly. 13-58

Whilst Director of Rugby Steve Pope will have been pleased with the consistency and attacking style of Cobham’s rugby there are a number of hard games to follow, including their next opponents, KCS who they meet in two weeks at the Memorial Grounds  on 5th December.